Analysis Paralysis and UI Design

What is Analysis paralysis?
Analysis paralysis is defined as "Analysis paralysis is an informal phrase applied to when the opportunity cost of decision analysis exceeds the benefits." in Wikipedia. In software development Analysis paralysis can occur in any phase like project planning or developments or decision-taking.

Analysis paralysis & UI Design
A UI designer may get into this situation when designing UI or Interactions. I have been into such situations where too many tree of possible answers and combinations of navigation patterns occured and I ended up finalizing nothing. :-D I guess, any UI designer working on some new or enhancing works has higher possibility to get into such situations.

My style of fixing it..
When I get into this situation.. I stop working on that module or UI instantly. Take some rest or divert my focus to something else. And after some time, I start from the beginning.. following my intuition (half of the time it works.. lol) or follow some common practices and pick up the answers. I put more focus on common sense than using any hi-funda/techie process. Well.. that works! ;-)

- Rajesh Sundaram
(UI & Interaction Designer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter - Marauder Map Application - UI Design